Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging HST for self-employed people. In my case, it's not possible to charge HST. Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi there,

Thank you for the question regarding HST. 

Instacart should be adding the GST/HST directly onto your courier fees. If they are not, you are still legally required to calculate the HST on the taxable service (not including the tips) and remit it to CRA.

I understand that it is difficult to remit the taxes before you receive the funds, so I would recommend properly filing your remittances (without remitting payment), and contacting CRA to let them know that you can’t afford to remit the GST until you receive it from Instacart (or any similar online platforms). I’m sure they will be more than understanding, considering this situation.

I have been in clear contact with CRA, and they are well aware of the GST issue regarding food/grocery delivery courier’s using online platforms like Instacart, DoorDash and UberEats. They are in the process of drafting a GST/HST ruling that will set the precedent in these situations, and should make collecting these taxes from your customers MUCH easier going forward. These online platforms are quite new, and we will need to be patient with CRA while they draft these rulings and legislation.

Dieth22

Charging HST for self-employed people. In my case, it's not possible to charge HST. Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi is there any legal action I can take with instacart for withholding the HST from me even though I've provided them with my HST number?

Hi there! 

I’m sure there could potentially be a legal action for any unpaid invoice, and I’d recommend contacting a lawyer (or legal aid) for that type of information.

It can get a little confusing, because although Instacart is the ‘invoicer’ and definitely has a responsibility to handle the transaction properly, it is likely that the customer ‘the person who initiated the delivery’ is technically the ‘shipper’ and would legally be responsible to pay the GST on the shipment.