Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NCLiz
Returning Member

Charitable contributions line

In the step by step view on the page Your 2021 Deductions and Contributions, there is a negative value under the 2021 column for Charitable Contributions.  This is BEFORE I enter any of my charitable contributions.  The only other place I can find this number is on the "Smart Worksheets from your North Carolina Individual".  North Carolina has chose to calculate the amount of the deduction based on 60 % of the AGI.  What I can't understand is why this calculation is carrying over to the Federal return.  Any ideas?

2 Replies
NCLiz
Returning Member

I have figured out that the negative $2,923 shows up on the NC Charitable Contributions Smart Worksheet on Line A (Cash Contributions 60%) but I can't figure out the source of that information.  The "smart" worksheet doesn't provide a link to the underlying data.  I've gone back and verified the entries on both Federal and State and don't find either an error in the input or anything that shows that negative value.  Turbotax won't let me just delete the entry on Line A.

NCLiz
Returning Member

I finally figured out how the negative number was getting into the Charitable Contributions.  I found a worksheet called Charitable Contributions Summary which showed me the amount making up the negative and the associated organizations.  This showed the one legitimate charity but it also showed negative line 13 amounts from 3 K-1s.  The codes provided on the K-1 were A - Cash contributions (60%) and B - Cash contributions (30%).

I know the K-1 is still in flux because of the IRS issuing an new form - the K-3 - which hasn't been implemented in TurboTax yet.  This problem needs to be fixed so that line 13 on the K-1 does not impact the Charitable Contributions Summary.  Those are business contributions to the Partnership, not charitable contributions.