Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dawson2
Returning Member

claiming Unused federal and manitoba education credits in Alberta- question for turbo tax expert

I have recently moved from Manitoba to Alberta.  I lived in Manitoba on Dec 31 2021 and in Alberta on Dec 31, 2022. I have unused federal and provincial education credits.  I understand that I am only able to claim the federal credits as indicated by Turbo tax  I entered the federal unused amounts only in to turbox tax and indicated my residence as MB on Dec 31, 2021. Turbox tax automatically completes AB(S11) and enters these amounts as unused Alberta tuition and education amounts and claims these as unused Alberta education credits.  Is this correct?  The AB(S11) form clearly states (If you resided in a province or territory other than Alberta on Dece31, 2021 you cannot claim your unused tuition and education amounts.  If not how do I bypass the AB(S11) form without deleting my federal unused amounts that I am eligible to claim.

1 Reply
HebaE
Returning Member

claiming Unused federal and manitoba education credits in Alberta- question for turbo tax expert

Hi

When entering your unused provincial amounts, make sure to enter zero for provincial (even if you have a carry forward from another province). TurboTax will automatically complete ABS11, however, the unused amount on the form will be zero. 

In TurboTax Desktop:

unsued tuition AB desktop.png

In TurboTax online:

unsued tuition AB.png

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.