Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cryptocurrency Conversions as Capital Gains

Hello! I know that I need to claim my coin conversions as there was a minor price increase/decrease between the time of buying coin A and converting it for coin B - and I know how to do the calculations based off 50% of the gain or loss. What I am searching for is where on the tubrotax online menu do I enter the appropriate information? Under the capital gains and capital gains deduction section this is all specific to other types of investment property like stocks, bonds etc.

Is there something I'm missing here? But there seems to be no option for adding cryptocurrency gains or losses.

Many thanks in advance!

1 Reply

Cryptocurrency Conversions as Capital Gains

On TurboTax Online, there is a option for Cryptocurrency in the Capital Gains Profile. On the profile, you will:

> Indicate you "Sold stocks, bonds, real estate, other capital property, or sold qualified small business corporation shares and/or qualified farm property and you have a capital gain or loss to report"

> Enter a new disposition

> And choose your Type of Capital Property as the 6th option in the drop-down list. "Mutual Funds/Publicly Traded Shares/Stocks/Cryptocurrencies"

For more information, here is a TurboTax article on the subject: A Guide to Cryptocurrency and NFT Tax Rules

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.