Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FenrirGB
Returning Member

Eligible retiring allowance transfer - Has reduced my 2021 RRSP Contribution Room - why ?

I received 2 eligible retirement allowances (severance over 2 years)  1 in the 1st 60 days of 2020, 1 in the 1st 60 days of 2021.

In the 2019 Tax filing I entered the Allowance as an rrsp contribution in the 1st 60 days of 2020  and I also entered my regular RRSP contribution - as expected the amount of the allowance was carried forward to 2020.

In the 2020 Tax filing I entered the RRSP Allowance contribution in the 1st 60 days of 2021  and the Transfer Amount for 2020, along with the box66  on my T4.

In 2022 for the 2021 tax year I will enter the Schedule 7 box 14 Transfer along with the Box 66 info on the T4

However when I got my Notice of Assessment CRA have reduced my 2021 rrsp "contribution limit" by the amount of my Allowance, they seem to have treated it as a general carry forward and subtracted it off the "deduction limit".  how do I fix this ?.  OR.... am I confused and its the deduction limit thats not impacted by a retirement allowance but the contribution limit IS ??

Everything I have read suggests that the retirement allowances contributions should NOT reduce my "contribution" limit

1 Reply
FenrirGB
Returning Member

Eligible retiring allowance transfer - Has reduced my 2021 RRSP Contribution Room - why ?

I should note that the 2019 Filing was a "ReFile" (post 2020 filing) as I forgot to initially include the Allowance RRSP contribution in the first 60 days of 2020.

It was the ReFile NOA for 2019 that noted the 2021 contribution limit being reduced by the amount of the Eligible retiring allowance.