Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

forced upgade

Im filling out my taxes and have rental income. this year its trying to force me to upgrade to self employment package last year it let me file with premium. has there been changes? how do i get out of the upgrade loop?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

forced upgade

I called support asking the same question - why am i being forced to upgrade for $51 dollars for a single tax return rental form that was previously included in the Premier version? 

Of course the agent couldn't answer but we can surmise that Turbotax thinks that because we have earned rental income, we can afford to pay more for their "upgrade". 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

forced upgade

I'm in the same situation where I'm forced to upgrade all 3 turbotax accounts in my family from Premier to Self-Employed for an asinine $153 dollars in total.  Its one thing if rental income became super complex to file but its the same process, same form and turbotax is just gatekeeping it for additional revenue. 

I've been using Turbotax out of convenience for the last few years but thanks to this forced upgrade, I'll be deleting my account and switching to an alternative. There are plenty of better cheaper options online - Just google CRA "Find a free or pay-what-you-want tax software". 

forced upgade

Yes, this year it is upgrading to Self-employed. We will be sending you a private message.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

forced upgade

Crazy, another cash grab for no added service. I've been fighting with this for over two hours and had to finally call support (it took me an hour to find a phone number and get through). The operator didn't even know about the changes, it took him a long time to find out.

forced upgade

I called support asking the same question - why am i being forced to upgrade for $51 dollars for a single tax return rental form that was previously included in the Premier version? 

Of course the agent couldn't answer but we can surmise that Turbotax thinks that because we have earned rental income, we can afford to pay more for their "upgrade". 

forced upgade

@Tedtantallon you were sent a private message.

forced upgade

@TurboTaxBrenda 

Can you share with us what exactly we are being "upgraded" with? 

As opposed to a downgrade of the original Premier version that was working perfectly fine. 

forced upgade

They have reclassified those who earn rental income as having to ugrade to self-employed.

Have you received a private message?