Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeUderevsky
Returning Member

Foreign Tax Credit doesn't reduce my Balance Due

Hi! I have to reFile my 2023 return because I only recently received and paid my tax slip for apartment rental income in Portugal. I entered my foreign rental income in the Rental Property section, but when I fill the Foreign Tax Credit, I still have a balance due of $2,250 (without using the Foreign Tax Credit my Balance due is $4,463).

I filed my 2023 return in April with my Canadian income only (because I couldn't pay my foreign tax yet), and had a balance due of $261 that I paid on the same day.

What should I do to make the Foreign Tax Credit work so don't have to pay the foreign tax twice?

Thank you!

3 Replies

Did you complete the form T776 it must be completed in CAN funds, using the Bank of Canada daily foreign exchange rate.

Form T1135, which is the Foreign Income Verification Statement. This form is required if the total cost amount of your specified foreign property exceeds $100,000 in Canadian currency during the tax year. 

Also, click on the top on Find and type in Foreign Tax Paid- be sure to check off  Paid income tax to a foreign country- and continue to the following page which will show you how much tax you can recover.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

MikeUderevsky
Returning Member

Hi, yes, this is exactly what I did, but my balance due is still $2,250. When I add my Rental Properties income (19,040.34 CAD Gross Rent), the overall Balance Due increases to $4,463 (from the $261.04 I already paid in April). And then the Foreign Tax Credit only deducts $2,212.42 (which I indicated in the Foreign Tax Credit and recently paid in Portugal converted to CAD), leaving $2,250 due.

But, if I remove my Canadian T4 slip for 2023, my Balance Due will drop to only $60, and filling out the Foreign Tax Credit will leave a $75 Tax Refund.

Maybe I should just delete my T4 slip and ReFILE indicating my foreign rental income only?

I appreciate your help!

If you received a T4 Slip it should be included in your tax return. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will review your tax return and inform you of the amount owed or refund.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.