Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Have Entered Many Expenses for My Business, But I Keep Getting Error Message That No Expenses Have Been Entered

I have entered the income and the expenses for my sole proprietorship business, but I keep getting the warning that: "You've entered income for your self-employment business but no expenses have been claimed. If you did incur expenses, please go back and enter them. Claiming the expenses you paid to do your work will help in lowering your taxes."

I talked to support about this, and their response was to just ignore the warning and don't worry about it - just trust that all the expenses entered will be claimed properly. I am not satisfied with this answer; TurboTax has a bug, and the goal should be to fix it, not ignore it and cross your fingers.

5 Replies

I Have Entered Many Expenses for My Business, But I Keep Getting Error Message That No Expenses Have Been Entered

Are you using TurboTax Download or the Online version? If you are using TurboTax Download it is possible that you opened a second T2125- Please verify and if yes, you can close the second one. You will know by going back to the warning section and say it applies to you- and see if you have expenses filled out on that specific one. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I'm using TurboTax Online.

When you are in the review section it gives you a warning-  They are only warnings and not fixes that need to be done. However, I would recommend that you click on it, and then choose "This applies to me" just to be sure that 2 T2125s didn't open up with one having your business name and address and no expenses and the other having everything.  Once you say this applies to me- go through the expense section and see if the expenses you entered are still there. If they are then all is well.

If two T2125s opened up when they shouldn't, that still sounds like a bug to me.

No, it happens that we start entering and then go out and go back, and instead of continuing on the same T2125, we end up opening a second one.