Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hpatel71

I paid membership fee for SCMP (Supply Chain Management Professional) designation. Can I claim on my tax return under Professional dues ?

2 Replies

I paid membership fee for SCMP (Supply Chain Management Professional) designation. Can I claim on my tax return under Professional dues ?

Hello hpatel71,

Yes, you sure can.

Please review the links provided below to assist you with your professional dues.

@TurboTaxLiseis wrong.

The fees you are mentioning are for a non-regulated certification. As such they cannot be claimed.

To be claimed, the fees have to be required by a trade union or by law in order for you to be legally able to work.

From the CRA:

• annual dues for membership in a trade union or an association of public servants
  • professional board dues required under provincial or territorial law
  • professional or malpractice liability insurance premiums or professional membership dues required to keep a professional status recognized by law
  • parity or advisory committee (or similar body) dues required under provincial or territorial law

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...