Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JM1091
Returning Member

Line 31600

Line 31600 disability amount (Federal tax form)

Object :   Line 31600 Disability amount 

Line 33099 Medical expense  (Fees paid for full-time care in a nursing home)

MPH form Disability amount (for self)

To deduct fees paid for full-time care in a nursing home, we have to get Form T2201 or a medical practitioner must certify in writing that you are, and in the foreseeable future will continue to be, dependent on others for your personal needs and care because of a lack of normal mental capacity.

Then you can claim the disability amount on line 31600 , if eligible, or the expenses as medical expenses on line 33099, but not both.

The problem:

I do have T2201 accepted by revenue Canada, so  for MPH form line 3 "Do you have T-2201?" : answer is YES.

To the question on line 4 of MPH form "Is T2201 void?" : the answer is NO

On line 33099 and medical expense annex we include fees paid for full-time care in a nursing home 23000 $.

With these to information completed Turbo tax automatically claim 8576 $ for disability credit which is not allowed under income tax law as specified above.  You can claim one of the two, medical expense for full time care in a nursing home on line 33099 or the disability amount on line 31600 but not both.

Only way to correct that is to override amount on line 31600 from 8576 $ to 0 $ credit, and leave amount on medical expenses line 33099.

The turbo tax will not permit use of Impotnet to transmit to revenue canada.

Problem does not exist for Revenu Quebec if the answer to question 5 on MPH form  "Are you allowed the disability amount for 2020 (Quebec residents) ?" : Answer is NO. Tax form will be transmitted to Revenu Quebec through Impotnet without any problem.

Thank you JM1091

2 Replies
jwnandsn
Returning Member

Line 31600

Hi.  Did you ever get a response / find a solution to this problem?  I have the same situation and have asked the same question.  No one from Turbo Tax has replied.

JM1091
Returning Member

Line 31600

Hi jwnandsn

Yes they answered me last year that my request was transmitted to programming section. However I did not received any follow up.

But this year I found the correct process to avoid override of the disability credit. You should go through the revision process and reach the advices section. On the disability credit advice you should answer that you are concerned and go through the submenu you will reach a question whether you are eligible. Your answer should be No. This will change MPH form first question "Did you suffer from serious disability during the year" from Yes to No and it will erase disability tax credit claimed. The second question "Did you suffer disability for 12 month" answer should still be Yes.  To the third question concerning "T2201 completed" answer is Yes. To the fourth question "T2201 void"  answer is No. Then tubo tax will perform correctly according to the law even though the answer to MPH form first question is not what it should be.

Best regards JM1091