Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HRosa1
Returning Member

Misleading Language re: Work-from-Home

Hey Turbotax!

You refused to take my concerns seriously and told me that I could pay for a more expensive version to speak to a Tax Expert about problems with misleading information in your online version. I am not sure what to think of your business model.

I have found misleading instructions and/or errors on your pages about work-from-home expenses. Is the rest of Turbotax is as misleading as the section on working from home? Firstly, your calculator does not match the CRA's calculator (which allows two decimal points for size of home and size of work area and specifies imperial or metric). And there is no clear space for rent! Does Turbotax only cater to those who own property? Why is rent not clearly specified, as it is on the CRA's calculator?

Unfortunately, Turbotax language makes it seem like most people can no longer claim work-from-home expenses, implying that if your employer has not given you form T2200, then you are not eligible. You can actually work with your employer to get form T2200 filled out. The CRA web site even states: "For 2023, if an employee has voluntarily entered into a formal telework arrangement with their employer, the employee is considered to have been required to work from home."

So, Turbotax, when will you revise your section on work-from-home expenses? April 30 is fast-approaching...

1 Reply

Misleading Language re: Work-from-Home

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Your input is invaluable in helping us improve our services. We want to assure you that your feedback will be passed on to the relevant department so that we can continue to provide you with the best possible experience.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.