Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abeenode

Newcomer Tax Return

I am reaching out to you to seek an advice regarding to my tax return.

I am a newcommer to Canada on a permanent resident status since March 2023. I started working from the
month of June 2023. My wife is currently unemployed.

Grateful to advise if I need to do the Tax return as we are not benefitting from newcomer entitlements. Thanking you in advance.

3 Replies
KristenL
Returning Member

Newcomer Tax Return

Hello,

If you have earned income in Canada, you should file your taxes for the entire year or part of the tax year you’ve lived in Canada.

You do not need to file a tax return before you can begin receiving benefits and credits during your first year in Canada. However, you do need to file a tax return to continue getting benefits and credits after your first year in Canada. 

You can learn more here: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax/situations/newcomers-to-canada

MoinM72

Newcomer Tax Return

Hello,

Yes, it is important to file the tax return in the year you immigrated to Canada. You can mention your date of immigration by filing this first return. This date is considered important as it is used by CRA for a lot of purposes (such as to calculate tax credits, return filing requirements, etc.). Therefore, it is important to file the returns for both you and your spouse. 

Newcomer Tax Return

Hi there, given that you worked within 2023 you should file a return for this year. Depending on the level of income reported this may entitle you to additional benefits and credits and/or may have a refund owing depending on the amount deducted by your employer.