Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nachtmusik
Returning Member

Nonresident with no Canadian income

My American husband obtained Canadian permanent residency in 2022, but still spends the majority of his time in the US and has his job and house there. We believe he is a deemed non-resident and he has no Canadian income from any source at all. When I enter his foreign income into TurboTax, it shows that he owes income tax even though as a non-resident he should not pay tax on US income. How can I resolve this?

EDIT: I believe I should enter 0 on his foreign income and instead fill out the World Income section. Is this correct?

1 Reply

Nonresident with no Canadian income

As per the Canada Revenue Agency "You become a deemed non-resident of Canada when your ties with the other country become such that, under the tax treaty with which Canada has with the other country, you would be considered a resident of that other country and not Canada. 

As a deemed non-resident of Canada, the same rules apply to you as a" Non-residents of Canada - Canada.ca

As for the second half of your question, I will advise that you contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for further guidance at the Individual tax enquiries line

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.