Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ON T2125, DO I ENTER MY PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY INSURANCE PREMIUMS ON LINE 8690, INSURANCE, OR ON ANOTHER LINE?

1 Reply

ON T2125, DO I ENTER MY PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY INSURANCE PREMIUMS ON LINE 8690, INSURANCE, OR ON ANOTHER LINE?

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Line 8690 – Insurance 

"You can deduct the premiums you pay on your rental property for the current year. If your policy gives coverage for more than one year, deduct only the premiums related to the current year." This line is not to be used for your Liability Insurance Premium.

Professionals who are required by law to maintain professional or malpractice liability insurance may also deduct their premiums on line 21200 of their income tax return. For example, if you are an accountant who is required by law to maintain liability insurance, you may deduct the cost of your premiums on your income tax return. However, if you are not legally required to have liability insurance but carry it anyway, you cannot deduct the cost of your premiums.

For more information please see the links found below.

TurboTax article Claiming Annual Professional or Union Dues on Your Income Tax Return

Canada Revenue Agency Line 21200 - Annual union, professional, or like dues

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.