Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clostew

PERSON LIVING ALONE TAX CREDIT

marital status divorced ( not new)

I am single owner of my home

but I got this message:

You are claiming the amount for a person living alone and have a spouse. Please verify if you have the right to claim the amount for a person living alone.

where is this non-existing spouse ?

1 Reply

PERSON LIVING ALONE TAX CREDIT

Some old information may have been transferred from a previous year return. Use the following steps to verify your marital status in the online version of TurboTax:

1. Select Find (the magnifying glass icon) from the TurboTax menu, type Marital Status, then select Go.
  2. On the What’s your marital status step, change your status-Divorced (and enter the date of change if the change happened during the tax year), then select Continue.

If you're being prevented from changing your marital status in TurboTax, it is likely due to how you've chosen to prepare your return. Please verify that you said you were filing For Myself.

If it is a Warning you are getting during your Review and not an Error, then it can be ignored and skipped. The Warning alert does not automatically mean something was done or entered incorrectly. It can be triggered if a high amount of certain credits or deductions are being claimed. Click on Review to verify that the right amount has been entered by clicking on "Applies to me". Once reviewed you can click "Done with warnings" and return to your review. 

Warnings are there just to ensure that if the situation applies to you, you can go back and make any necessary modifications.
Errors, on the other hand, will prevent you from filing because something in your return is incorrect and the return will not be accepted by the Canada Revenue Agency.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.