Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help! Year 1 of business. I got an hst number part way through the year, and have no idea how to enter both hst charged and no hst sales. Using quick method.

Turbotax seems to think you either have one or you don't but does not give you a clue on how to deal with a mid-year with HST scenario.
2 Replies

Please Help! Year 1 of business. I got an hst number part way through the year, and have no idea how to enter both hst charged and no hst sales. Using quick method.

Did you get your GST number after your business was opened? If yes, please contact the CRA  at 1-800-959-5525 for assistance.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I did, as you do not require an hst # if your income is lower than $30,000. and I was still working for an employer, and not fully operating until June 1st.  There is no guidance via Turbotax that details how to deal with a mid-year h.s.t. number.  There is also no reference as to what form you should use, or what category will allow you to enter cost of goods sold! I had to spend a sleepless night and two conversations (two helpful), one totally unhelpful - the so called "turbotax pro" help that I paid good money for, insisted that I had an incorporated business if I had a business name. We could not get beyond that...he argued repeatedly. I think I should know if my business is incorporated or not. I now have a second appointment booked today, and hopefully they will be able to give me the answers I need.

I do want you to know that the two ladies I spoke with today prior to getting the first appointment and the one I am about to enter into soon...were lovely and would not assume to give me incorrect information.