Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I record a negative number in Box 42 on T3

I received a T3 from Dynamic Active Global Div EFT with a negative number recorded in box 42.  The slip has a notation that says non-cash distribution is in the form of additional units.  Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to record this number as a negative.  Help is appreciated.

9 Replies

If Box 42 has a negative amount, put it in brackets (00).

For more information please see the Canada Revenue Agency's Box 42 – Amount resulting in cost base adjustment.

Thank you for using TurboTax.

That was my thought well however, Turbotax does not allow me to use/inset the () symbol.  Any other suggestions? 

I should also mention I tried using a minus symbol too which also doesn’t work. 

chlabonte1
Returning Member

I have the same question. Not able to add a - or ( or ). How do you enter a negative number that is shown in a T3? 

Hi. To be honest I was not able to do this myself. I ended up using the feature that allowed me do import documents directly through the CRA sight. You and puck and choose which document you want to import. I imported the T3 that showed the negative number and it appeared correct. Hope this helps you. 

Jamieandcie
Returning Member

Hi Christel1961

When u said CRA sight, are you refereeing to My Account? I don't see any T3 in there. 

Hi Jamie. This was an issue I had last year. Another member suggested I download the form form from CRA which I did and solved my problem. I wasn’t able to enter the negative details myself. Thanks for asking. 

Jamieandcie
Returning Member

Thanks you Christel1961 for answering. 

I went to My Account  from the CRA to look for a T3 but I don't see any T3 in there.  I'm sure the CRA receive a copy of it but his didn't post it.

I'm stuck with a problem that i don't know how to solve.  The scary part is mean i cannot send my tax out.

Do you know for sure you should have a T3?  My suggestion is you call or email the company that you feel should have issued this T3 and ask them to send you a duplicate or at least confirm for a fact one was issued this year. If the document is from a bank, you can locate a copy online by signing into your online banking. Search for tax forms. If it’s from an investment i .e. a mutual fund company, you can call them to inquire. Have your account details handy. Hopefully this should help.