Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Angrypumpkin
Returning Member

Is the tax rate wrong?

My husbands tax rate seems incorrect. When doing our taxes (husbands and myself) on my own for the first time, on the downloaded version, our returns seem quite a bit higher this year than last year (by liberty tax) I have been checking and checking for errors. Last years taxes were 20.5% on turbo tax it says 15% in the summery.  If I read correct it should be 15% for the first bracket then go up to 20.5 for the remaining income above the $46???? Amount. His average income tax return has been less than $1000 (done by a preparer) and now it’s $2200+ I do not feel confident this is correct. 

1 Reply

Is the tax rate wrong?

Hello,

When reviewing a tax return because results are not what you expected, I have the following recommendations.

• Review the Year over Year comparison, if available. This helps determine if there is a change in the level of income, deductions or credits from one year to the next. You can find this in the left side-menu under Review.
  • Review the return line by line to see if there are any values missing or not expected. There could be a keying error or omission on a line item that is affecting the results. For example, a T5008 with no adjusted cost base, or an income slip where the tax withheld was not reported correctly. In TurboTax Online you can find this under Review > Bottom Line (Tax Summaries) and by selecting the Detailed Tax summaries in the lower-center left of the screen, or with TurboTax Desktop in the forms section as well.
  • Review your information slips you have entered and if you imported slips from the Canada Revenue Agency you may have slips that you may not be aware of, in either case it could be beneficial to review the information slips entered and validate them.

It may be just becoming familiar with the software to understand where all the information is entered.  The EasySteps is designed to interview the client to help discover all the tax issues and values that may affect them.  After the profile has been established though if there are any corrections necessary or omissions, the side-menu allows the client access to those areas that need correction, or simply if they want to validate the existing entries. These are the general steps I would follow, however, if you continue to have difficulty you may consider upgrading your service to allow for Expert Assistance where an expert may be able to review your return and assist you in making any corrections or additional entries.