Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nonresident tax forms

How I am going to file my NR4(OAS) and NA4 Statements together with my other T forms? Turbotax does not allow to file in those forms.

1 Reply

Nonresident tax forms

An NR4 slip is issued by residents of Canada (and in some cases by nonresidents) who have paid certain amounts to a Canadian nonresident. The slip issuer must withhold tax from the payment to the nonresident and remit it to the government.

All eligible NR4 income types can be found on the back of the NR4 slip. The type of income specific to an individual NR4 slip is in box 14 (on the front of the NR4 itself).

As with most tax slips, the NR4 shows the amount of income received and tax withheld. You'll need to enter the total of your income amounts from all your NR4s received for the year into the Statement of World Income in TurboTax.

The NR4 form is only issued to Non-Residents of Canada and there are no actual NR (Non-Resident) Forms in a T1 General Tax Return.  Therefore you cannot enter this slip on a particular page or screen titled NR4.

Depending on the source of the income, you can enter on your Canadian tax return the type of slip from which that income was derived from. For example:

• If this is from Old Age Security (OAS), enter it on the T4A(OAS) screen.
  • If this is Interest income, enter it as Interest & Investment Income.
  • If this is a T5/NR4, enter on the T5 - Statement of Investment screen. Make your entries in Box 15 and 16.
  • If this is a T4A/NR4, enter it on the T4A page.

Ensure you keep the slip available if CRA requests to see it.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.