Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris103

Ontario Childcare Access and Relief from Expenses (CARE) Credit

We are a family with a family income of over $150k.  When prepping our returns, Turbotax is giving us the credit noted in the subject line.  I have read that the basis for the credit is adjusted family net income. Essentially any family earning over $150k should not be eligible.    The program seems to be giving us the credit based on my wife's income level and not considering the family income level.  I am prepping the returns together.  Has anyone else seen this and is it a known problem?  I have checked with an accountant friend of mine and their program bases it on the family income.

17 Replies

I think we may have the same issue. We are about 120k worth and it seems in the section where is asks about supporting people, we choose "spouse as the other supporting person" when Turbo asks who supports ALL your eligible dependents,  when doing this the refund amount changes dramatically. Is this similar to yours? Turbo is suppose to have an update to fix errors on Feb 27th by 2pm, maybe this is part of it. 

Which option do you select when your in the "CARE" form, if we just skip the form seems to have a higher return $$  

Yes - I can confirm this - the program ignored my income and based the credit on my wife’s income.  She got the credit, adjusted based on her income only.  We’re over $150k and shouldn’t have qualified.

So did you submit it then? What option did you select when it goes to the "Childcare Access and Relief from Expenses (Care) Tax Credit ". I basically selected "You" as selecting my spouse the credit goes down. We havent submitted yet. Waiting for the update to download to see the changes, I'm not sure what to do if it doesnt work. 

Any idea how to calculate the adjusted net income for the supporting persons? (Entering the greatest total) section? 

I have spoken to Intuit.  I demonstrated the issue and they are aware of the situation.  They’ve told me they’ve scheduled a Hotfix for March 4.

Got it thanks. 

I also tried online version and it doesnt include the income like you mentioned, so online no Issues. Too bad I was excited !! 

Is the fix suppose to be downloadable March 4th then? Did they say anything about the Feb 27th 2pm fix.....

Hi. I am having the same problem. When I select me and my husband, the refund changes to a lot less. You would think that turbo tax wouldn't automatically calculate the refund until those questions are answered. I have contacted turbo tax and they are confused with what I am talking about. When I select only myself, there is a $800 difference in my return.

What did  you end up selecting then? 

The online version doesn't auto calculate and I got the same return as if I selected both of us and then enter my income(husband) from line 23600 when it asks for the other supporting persons income from that line. It's confusing for sure. If we select just the "you" being my wife, then the return is significantly higher then selecting more then one supporting person. 

aguy1

thank you for the info. We're in the same situation (no option to remove this CARE credit). I believe I originally added it by mistake, and was alerted to the error on the review, but not it can't come off. I'll check back in after the 4th. thanks!