Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quebec123
Returning Member

"There is a discrepancy between your federal and provincial income"

I have two differences:

1) On the review page of Turbotax, my net employment earnings for Federal and Quebec have a difference of $65. This is because on the Federal T4, it has  box 40: Other Taxable Benefits 65.00. On the corresponding Relevé 1, there is no 65.00 shown.

Do I have to place the T4 65.00 amount anywhere into the Relevé 1?

2) The other amount for the Federal and Quebec also has a difference of 500, with Federal being higher. This would be the accumulation of all of my T4As. I went to university in Ontario for the winter semester of 2019, then as a Quebec student for the fall semester 2019. I received a T4A for my Ontario university, the province of Ontario and the Government of Canada but no Relevé 1 for any of them. When I auto-filled my return, the amount in box 105 for each of the T4As were copied Revelé 1 for Scholarships RB.

The same goes for the T2202s; the total amounts are copied to Relevé 8.

I'm not sure where the difference came from, please help!

1 Reply

"There is a discrepancy between your federal and provincial income"

Hi,

1) Amounts in box 40 of your T4 is already included in your employment income Box 14. It's a taxable benefit and would most likely have already been included in your RL-1. Double check your T4 & RL-1 entries. If all the numbers match, then you can skip the warning. 

2) Some universities outside of Québec don't issue a RL-8 unless you request it. Even if they don't issue you a RL1, TurboTax will automatically copy the T2202 tuition paid onto the RL-8 in order to calculate the provincial tuition tax credit, including the amount that you can transfer someone else.

Same goes for T4A scholarships & awards (box 105). This income also needs to be reported on the Quebec return and that is why box 105 of your T4A will be copied to the equivalent box on the RL-1 for scholarships & awards.