Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is an issue with the capital gains calculation (T3 and T5008) for Taxable Capital Gains.

There is an issue with the capital gains calculation. Total Capital Gains Amount from T5008 entries are not multiplied by 50% before transferred to line 127 (Taxable Capital Gains). The capital gains calculation from T3 entries are multiplied by 50%. This increases the Total Income resulting the increase amount of Income Tax payable. I have done the calculation by hand confirming the error. 

2 Replies
user1217353570
Returning Member

There is an issue with the capital gains calculation (T3 and T5008) for Taxable Capital Gains.

The T3-Box 21 Capital gain /loss is also wrongly multiplied by 50% for the purposes of calculating the amount available for loss carry back when the request for loss carry back is opened.

I an entering my husband's and my return simultaneously to find out if there are advantages to splitting income  I can enter all my husband's stock trading income and it comes up correctly as 50% taxable.  The program will not allow to enter trades on the same kind of screen and it adds 100% of the trading gains into income - will not take in the 50% taxable.  I have checked to make sure we have the same boxes checked off on the initial interview screen.