Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jakeyowza

REFILE: Adding new medical expense credits

Hi All,

I'm preparing a REFILE for 2022 to add some additional medical expense credits. In my original return they were claimed under my return but should have been claimed under my spouse's return. I've added this expense along with some other medical expenses that we missed. Turbo Tax says: "Medical expenses entered for both [you and spouse] will be combined on one tax return. You'll decide who should claim the medical credit on a later step." However, I never see any prompts or opportunities to allocate these expenses to my spouse's return - they default to my return. I only want to REFILE her return, not mine (I don't want another review/assessment of my return) but the system seems to want me to REFILE both returns.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Reply

REFILE: Adding new medical expense credits

Did you do a joint return? If that's the case, the total medical expenses are allocated to only one return, usually the sole earner or the lowest earner.  

Medical expenses will be reduced by the lesser of 3% of your net income or by the tax year’s threshold which changes every year. In 2022 threshold is $2 479.00 that is the maximum medical deductions you can claim.

Do you need to Refile or simply make an adjustment for one item? You can make an adjustment in Canada Revenue Agency My Account. This is how to do it: 

How to change a return

Thank you for choosing TurboTax