Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sukimario

RRSP over contribution - what actions need to be taken

Hello, I have a few questions regarding my RRSP over contribution. 

I contributed an amount to my RRSP in March 2023, but soon realized that I do not have any deduction room so I withdrew the full amount in March. At the time I did not know that I should fill out a T3012A. 

I understand that I will have to pay income tax on the amount that I withdrew besides the withholding tax that was deducted. But my question is, should I report this RRSP contribution (I have a contribution slip) for 2023 even though I withdrew it in the same month?

I understand that if I withdraw from RRSP, the contribution room will be gone forever, but in the case that I  already run out of contribution room, will this withdrawal of overcontributed amount affect my contribution room calculation next year?

My last question is, do I have to take any other actions to inform CRA that I withdrew the over-contributed amount or simply filing my taxes, reporting my RRSP withdrawal as income?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

1 Reply

RRSP over contribution - what actions need to be taken

As per the CRA-Over contribution

You should advise the CRA when you do over contribute over $2000.00 more than what you were able to. 

Yes, you will need to claim any RRSP slips you received from the contribution to the withdrawl.

Here is a great TurboTax article: Over Contributed.

For more information please contact the CRA at 1-800-959-8281

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.