Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Tater1430

Self employed

Only my wife is a home business operator , and im retired . When filing together using the self employed program the program has always only charged my wife for the self employed rate and myself as a standard return. This year the Self employed program is charging us both the same rate @ $44.99 . Is there a way to prevent this from happening ??

1 Reply

Self employed

Hello,

If you are preparing you and your spouse's return together both income tax and benefit returns will be prepared under that price schedule.  If filing together, each package is designed to integrate the information from both spouses to obtain the best possible tax outcome, tools, advice and information for each spouse.

If you wish to have a different price schedule applied to your return than your spouse's you will have to elect to file separately and select a package that best suits your needs.  The fees for completing your spouse's return are considered a business expense. Note, there are integrated advantages in completing your returns together within TurboTax, such as the Optimizers for medical expenses, pension splitting and charitable donations. 

TurboTax continues to offer Canadians a range of tax preparation products and prices to serve their needs. We thank you for your continued patronage and allowing TurboTax to satisfy you tax preparation needs.