Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spousal Amount Problem

The introduction asks if you are eligible for the spousal amount. I initially chose Yes because below that it says TT will calculate the amount you are eligible to claim, if any, based on income and deductions. So I checked the box indicating I am not sure if I am eligible. My return is prepared with my spouse together. I am married and answered no to the questions on living apart, bankruptcy, disabled, and dependency. My spouse's net income is zero. Upon review, the spousal amount is being claimed by TT. When I change the answer to No (not eligible), it doesn't claim the spousal amount. It appears the software is not actually behaving as described/expected when you check the box about being not sure if you are eligible. 

Am I eligible for the spousal amount? If not, why is TT calculating as if I am? 

2 Replies
daisy08
Returning Member

Spousal Amount Problem

The software did exactly what it was supposed to do when you weren't certain if you were eligible for the amount, it entered it because you were eligible as seen below. When you chose that you no longer wished to receive the amount it took it away after you said NO. If you would not have been allowed to receive it, it would not have been entered. 

According to Canada Revenue Agency, you can claim this amount if, at any time in the year, you supported your spouse or common-law partner and their net income from line 23600 of their return was less than your basic personal amount (plus $2,350 if they were dependent on you because of an impairment in physical or mental functions).

The spousal amount is automatically calculated by TurboTax. You can see how much you are getting by looking at line 30300 on the Detailed Tax Summary.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Spousal Amount Problem

TT doesn't ask if WISH to receive it. It asks if you are eligible. If you click on "eligible" it says TT will claim it if you supported your spouse AND their net income is less $12,219. At the time, I wasn't sure what supported meant. If you chose no, you could end up paying a lot more tax than you should. I subsequently learned from taxtips.ca that supported, in this context, just means the higher income spouse.