Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
louiewissie
Returning Member

T3 has box 26, which forces me to enter business information

I have a T3 from an investment company.  When I enter Box 26 specifically, it appears to trigger Turbotax Premier to ask for a bunch of business information that I don't have.  Which province the business is in, what the fiscal year start and stop are, etc.

This is investment income, not business income.

I have started again from scratch and entered all of our information into a new return - same result.

I have removed the T3 and have gotten no errors and that I could submit the tax return

I have entered all of the information on this T3 Except Box 26 and I get no errors.  It is only when I enter Box 26 that it causes problems.

I have checked with CRA and they tell me that box 26 should NOT trigger anything business related as it is used for interest income among other things, and to contact Turbotax for a work-around.  Which is what I am doing now.

I have checked for the latest updates, and this has not been fixed as of 2021 April 23.

Surely I cannot be the first person across canada to run into this issue?

1 Reply
louiewissie
Returning Member

T3 has box 26, which forces me to enter business information

I had entered this T3, which is 50% for me and 50% for my wife, under my wife's return.  And it gave the errors described.

I thought of deleting it from my wife's return and entering that same data in my return.  There should be no difference.  But it works now.  No errors, and I can submit my taxes.

I'm a bit disappointed that this software can be tripped up by something so simple.  And I am disappointed that it took me 20+ hours of messing around with anything and everything that I could think of to figure it out, since this software does not appear to have actual tech support.   If it has tech support, it is well hidden!

My confidence that this software does what it claims to do is not very high right now.