Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samloops
Returning Member

TT 2023 is taking RRSP contibution limit as contribution amount

I am using the 2023 Standard Canadian version of TT, desktop, 00.01.61, build 6004 068G22. After followinig the Easy Step sequence for RRSP's, the RRSP summary shows contributions of not only the actual 2023 contribution but the total of the contribution PLUS the 2023 contribution limit.  In the T1 form, line 20800 is showing my personal 2023 limit, although I made no contribution.  Double clicking on the T1 entry box, shows no values in the associated worksheet.  The same situation occurs in my wife's return, showing the sum of both her actual contribution PLUS her 2023 limit.  The associated worksheet, shows only her contribution, as it should.  The worksheets do not match the T1 entries, and the T1 entries cannot be overridden.  Even setting the RRSP contribution limit value to 0 in the associated worksheet does not change line 20800.

I imported my tax data from the CRA, but entered my wife's manually.  Even the RRSP Planning Wizerd is showing incorrect contributions.

Please let me know how I can override these incorrect values and get on with the job at hand.

Thank you.

1 Reply
samloops
Returning Member

TT 2023 is taking RRSP contibution limit as contribution amount

So I think I've found the error, or at least a workaround to deal with it.  The Carry Fwd form is reporting the 2023 RRSP Limit in the line near the bottom "Unused RRSP contributions".  When the value there is overidden and the proper value (in our case $0) is inserted, the correct value of 2023's RRSP contribution appears in line 20800 of the T1.

Since this is appearing in form Carry Fwd, I can only think that TT is importing from last year's return improperly.

Nuts, our refund just went down by almost $20,000.