Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrJongy
Returning Member

Tuition expense causes me to owe money

when I include my College tuition amount, upon hitting the continue key, the amount of money I owe increases instead of getting  more money back.

4 Replies

The Tuition expense you spent will be your Tuition Tax Credits. This Non-Refundable Tax Credit is used to offset part of the expense of college or university by reducing any tax the student may have payable. it is not the money you owe.

In addition, TurboTax will automatically apply the tuition amounts needed to reduce your tax payable and carry forward any remainder.

For more information, please click: Understanding Tuition Tax Credits

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

MrJongy
Returning Member

I know that but when I enter the college tuition and hit continue or whatever, it does the opposite and now he owes money, can’t call in for support. 

MrJongy
Returning Member

I just used a friends Ufile program and it works properly- means I’m getting a refund as I thought it should. Can someone contact me from Turbotax cause dialing the number is constantly busy. If I do not get help, I’ll take the software  back to Costco for refund 

MrJongy
Returning Member

I understand and been doing taxes with tuition for several years, and no he outcome but this year it’s testing the credit as an income and instead of a refund, we owe. Read my later post of using Ufile and it comes out as a refund which Turbotax is wrong