Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leanne11
Returning Member

Turbo Tax is saying I have self employed income, but I am not self employed!

I am trying to Netfile my return. Turbo Tax is saying I have reported self employed income, but I haven't. I have gone through my return multiple times, checked all the boxes that were previously suggested and there is nothing entered in the boxes. This is getting VERY frustrating as I can't file my return. I also did not import my information from last year, but even if I did, I have never reported self employment.

How do I fix this??

8 Replies
Gayatri_Gandhi1
Returning Member

Hello Leanne,

To be able to better assist you can you please clarify what your selections were.

If you are not self employed, but are on contract OR have a rental property, Turbo Tax Self Employed is an automatic selection to best service your needs.  

Thanks

Gayatri

nsingla
Returning Member

Hi

If you have received a T4A and reported the amount from box 48 on your return, it constitutes self employment income. 

Hello Leanne,

Could you please share the exact error message you got so we can better triage the issue?

Thank you

Jesscia 

Leanne11
Returning Member

Hi Jessica,

The exact message is on the last page of the "Review" and this is what it says: Your province of self-employment is different from your province of residence. TTO does not support Multijurisdictional returns. Review your entries.

I do not have contacts, I do not have rental income, and I did not report income in box 48 on a T4A. I don't have foreign income, I have no alternate income. 

Thank you!

Hello Leanne,

This error message should only get triggered when you have self-employment forms created. 

Could you please go to Income -> Self-Employment -> Self-Employment Summary to check if there is any thing you have entered for you or your spouse if applicable? If so, you can remove it by clicking "Delete". See below for the sceenshot of the page you need to check.

Self_Employed Work Summary.png

Regards,

Jessica

Leanne11
Returning Member

Hi Jessica,

There was somehow a line that populated under the T2125 Business Summary? If I didn't go into self-employment at all, how would this have populated?

I deleted the line (that had no information entered) and have now filed my return. 

Thank you for your help!!

Great to hear that you were able to complete and file your return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

raquel_z

I Had the exact same issue.  After reading the replies here I did some looking around.  For me the issue was that one of the T3s had an amount in box 24 (foreign business income ) and it ended up as a field on one   of the self employed forms.  Not even sure how I found it.  Since it was a small amount - $6. for me and $13 for my husband, I just removed them,  (let the CRA come after me for not reporting $20 of income  🙂  ) Then the error was gone and I was able to file.   In retrospect maybe I should have reported them as box 25 - foreign investment income.   Any this small amount wasted a lot of time and energy.  but the taxes are files