Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timmmer

Turbo Tax is transferring a different tuition amount than what is calculated on kid's returns.

There appears to be a glitch in the tuition amount transferred in the 2022 edition.

I double checked again, and although I input all of the information from my two children’s income tax returns exactly as requested within the software for my 2022 return, it calculated that I  was having $5000 transferred from both kids as opposed to $5000 from one and 2891.44 from the other as calculated by their individual returns. Perhaps the software was considering previous years carry forward tuition amount?

According to one son's return, the maximum he was allowed to transfer to me was $2891.44. According to the other son's return, his maximum was the full $5000. 

There is no way to override how much Turbotax calculates as a transfer amount from my kids Income tax returns. It is calculated automatically from entering information from specific lines on their returns and it doesn't even show you how much that is. In my case it calculated 5000 for each.  This has triggered an audit on myself. 

1 Reply
Timmmer

Turbo Tax is transferring a different tuition amount than what is calculated on kid's returns.

Not sure if I was supposed to pose this as a question, but if someone from TurboTax could explain this that would be great because it has caused me to lose some confidence in the program that I have used for many years.