Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTax Bug Makes An Error in Charitable Donations in Alberta

ALBERTA TURBO TAX USERS BEWARE

It's not a question but a TurboTax bug and I can't find anywhere else to report it directly to TurboTax.

If you live in Alberta the logic for claiming charitable contributions is different than elsewhere because Alberta credits 60% on the first $200, then drops to 21% for everything above $200.

All other provinces follow the federal model - a lower rate for the first $200 then a jump in credit above that.

The program then assumes couples want to put all of their claim against one spouse only, which shortchanges all Alberta filers out of $50 net.

I caught the bug so made the manual change but even in the review before filing TurboTax wrongly told me to change it and lump all our donations against just one taxpayer.

Hopefully TurboTax programmers read this and make the fix.

Cheers.
Doug.

1 Reply
NYee_2024
Returning Member

TurboTax Bug Makes An Error in Charitable Donations in Alberta

Hey @DougFromCalgary, thanks for sharing your experience with TurboTax and letting us know about what you've encountered. Our team are always looking into ways to optimize our product for all of our customers.

You're right - Alberta does have an unique tax credit calculation versus other provinces, and there may be various options available for people looking to optimize their return based on their personal financial situation.

It's important to note that since everyone's tax situation is different, it is very helpful for you to share how you've optimized your return, so that others can keep an eye out for ways to optimize their own tax return if they have a similar situation.

Thanks again for sharing your experience @DougFromCalgary. Hope you have a great day!