Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbotax entered a deduction on line 25600 but I did not check the box to claim it

On my tax filing line 25600 is additional deductions and has a considerable amount entered in it. When I go through the online questionnaire (summary section) I can see it as Northern Resident deduction, I'm not entitled to this as I live in southern Ontario. I search for the input within the questionnaire and the question is not checked as expected.

Why has Turbotax put a deduction I didn't ask for in the return. I have the CRA asking why I have claimed this. Turbotax has a bug in it.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbotax entered a deduction on line 25600 but I did not check the box to claim it

This turned out to be Foreign income that's tax exempt  not as listed in the summary as Northern resisdent deduction. Not a bug but still not good the program does not allow you to track where the deduction came from.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

This turned out to be Foreign income that's tax exempt  not as listed in the summary as Northern resisdent deduction. Not a bug but still not good the program does not allow you to track where the deduction came from.

I have the same problem with Northern Resident. which shows a $4,992 deduction in the summary even though I did not claim it. The proposed solution does not work, and telephone support is not in person. I have used Turbotax for many years and have never had a problem. Not impressed with the current version.