Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTax online won't allow me to add payment for homebuyer tax credit

My return keeps getting rejected because it says I need to repay the first time homebuyer tax credit, but I cannot find where to enter a payment! I have gone through, answered the question in that section, then it goes back to the previous screen. I've searched Help, and Forums and everywhere for literally hours. The prompts are not allowing me to enter it anywhere, and there is no way that I can just go to a certain section and plug in my number.
Here's what I have done repeatedly with no luck:
I Revisit the Homebuyer Credit Repayment section, the one question it shows "Did you get the homebuyer credit in 2008?"
I keep answering "Yes, but the home I received the credit for stopped being my main home on or before December 31, 2018"
Then it kicks me back to the main screen after I hit continue.
Then I go back and Revisit again, and it keeps reverting to: "No I never received the credit".
I click the appropriate box again "Yes, but the home I received the credit for stopped being my main home on or before December 31, 2018" then Continue
Then it goes back out to the "Your Home" section again.
PLEASE HELP!! I need to get my taxes filed, and I'm getting nowhere. 

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax online won't allow me to add payment for homebuyer tax credit

You will need to upgrade to the Deluxe version of TurboTax to complete this section.  It is not included in the Free version. 

The information for the First-Time Homebuyer credit is reported on Form 5405.

Please see the following link to see the Forms included in each version of TurboTax as well as more information on when you need to upgrade.

Forms included in TurboTax products

How to upgrade levels in TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"