Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTax product online registration error

I have been using the turbo tax standard for over 5 years. For tax reporting in 2019, I bought a CD from Cosco and the program was downloaded from the Turbo site, and I entered the serial number of the CD.

As I did every year, I tried to register Turbo Online to update the Turbo program to the latest version. However, strangely, if I enter the required information on the online registration screen and hit enter, the following error will continue to be processed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

We're sorry,

We're sorry, we have encountered an unforseen error.

Failed to connect to database.

Please try again later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the problem? I did it the way I did each year, but it's strange. Please let me know. Is there any problem using programs that is not registered online? Can I use my current program to report my taxes? Please tell me how to fix it. I look forward to your kind help.

10 Replies

I have been buying Turbo tax for last 5 year, same error.

However i was able to file my returns using the software

Has anyone got an answer to this problem yet??

Ignoring politeness, this failure in the product registration is a crock.  The error message is useless, and not sure what value registering the product is, especially when buying direct from Turbotax.  I had no other choice as we are self isolating as we just returned from a holiday out of country (Covid 19)

Adrian11

I'm getting the same error  everyday. It's been a whole week since I purchased turbotax. The product is useless without Netifle and Import data from CRA.

LB72

I had the Turbo Tax on laptop ----had to get laptop fixed--new harddrive 

I down loaded the turbo tax and tried to register on line with the repaired laptop and now I cant register on line

Is it because I have more than one computer with the Turbo tax copy , I had it on the damaged laptop, got copy on my desktop computer, now I want it on the repaired laptop and cannot get it registered on line it say error failed to connect to database

DA52

I've been getting the same error for a week now.  Is there an answer to this question anywhere??????  Can we still file our tax return without registering???

LB72

I have just filed 2and  it works even it says database error

LB72

Each time I open Turbo Tax Premium, I'm asked to register the product.  All attempts to do so are answered with the same response:  "We're sorry, we have encountered an unforeseen error. Failed to connect to database.  Please try again later."

In trying to resolve this problem, I see a number of users are having the same problem.  Ridiculous.  Registration is such a basic issue that Intuit has been doing correctly for years.  Why the problem this year?

I'm concerned that after completing my taxes this year, I'll be unable to file them online with CRA.

Give us some help here, Intuit!

rwf2505
Returning Member

I have the same issue 

We're sorry,

We're sorry, we have encountered an unforseen error.

Failed to connect to database.

Please try again later.

I have been using Turbotax for 8+ years and have never had a registration issue prior to this.

I also question why we need to register a copy purchased by direct download.