Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTax switching from Free to Deluxe

Hi, I wanted to make a thread to see if others had a similar issue as me. 

TurboTax was clearly selected as free (by going into View All TurboTax Products), filed as simple/free WITH an authorized associate over the phone and screen sharing with. Put together 5 applications, after AutoFill (whether you do manually or auto), it tells you that you've unlocked some perks, and switches it to deluxe right away. Now it's only $15, however I have filed many years with TurboTax free and never had this come up where I'm being forced to pay. There's no additional entries anywhere, as simple as they come, yet still being forced to the PAY NOW screen.

Stayed on phone with Authorized Representative, could not be put through to a manager/supervisor, and could not find out what was going on.

Just a PSA: FTC sued Intuit in the U.S. for something very similar in January of this year. It looks like an exact copy of what is happening here. Under Deceptive Marketing Practices with the Competition Bureau of Canada, it states:  Deceptive Marketing Canada Link 

Under the civil regime, the general provision prohibits all materially false or misleading representations. Other provisions specifically prohibit performance representations that are not based on adequate and proper tests, misleading warranties and guarantees, false or misleading ordinary selling price representations, untrue, misleading or unauthorized use of tests and testimonials, bait and switch selling, and the sale of a product above its advertised price. The promotional contest provisions prohibit contests that do not disclose required information.

False or misleading representations and deceptive marketing practices can have serious economic consequences, especially when directed toward large audiences or when they take place over a long period of time. They can affect both business competitors who are engaging in honest promotional efforts, and consumers.

I'd like to know what others have experienced trying to go through the same thing. I have seen multiple forums depicting the same situation, however I wanted insight from the TurboTax/Intuit community directly. Has anyone experienced similar issues in Canada? Is there any solution or just to bite the bullet and pay the $15?

If not, not a problem, I know now. If yes, I could only try to imagine how many individuals have been taken advantage of. 

I do have screen recordings available showing that you are not able to revert back to free once it switches you over to Deluxe automatically, regardless of the information put into the actual system (income, donation, health, etc.)

Thank you.