Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csavoie76

Under employment related driving expenses it says fuel then it says GST taxable & then HST taxable. Do I entered the full amount that I spent on gas or just 50% as that

1 Reply

Under employment related driving expenses it says fuel then it says GST taxable & then HST taxable. Do I entered the full amount that I spent on gas or just 50% as that

When reporting vehicle expenses you should only report the amount paid prior to HST/GST. This is done because the HST/GST paid may result in a rebate for you. When claiming vehicle expenses you should keep in mind that you can only deduct the portion of your expenses that relate to your employment rather than personal. You deduct the percentage of your motor vehicle expenses that relate to your work. You need to keep a logbook of the mileage you drove to earn income and the total mileage you drove in the tax year for both work and personal use. For more information on claiming motor vehicle expenses related to employment, here is a link to a great TurboTax article. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.