Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamzabenyaala
Returning Member

Unused Canada Training Credits

Hello,

I already claimed all my tuition federal and provincial credit from previous years. But I still have my unused Canada Training Credit to claim. I was trying to follow the steps provided by turbotax help below but because I have no tuition to claim and Turbotax didnt give me the option to enter my Canada credit training showing on my previous year notice of assesement in my CRA account.

These are the Steps that I followed below;

1. Go to Your Student Profile by selecting Find from the menu
  2. Enter student in the search bar, then choose Students from the list of results and select Go
  3. Select Tuition fees on receipt, T2202, or TL11 and complete the tuition section of your return. (left empty tuition value, because I already claimed all of my tuiton). If eligible, you’ll see the Canada Training Credit screen.
  4. Enter the Canada Training Limit amount from your previous year’s Notice of Assessment (NOA). You'll then be directed to a screen showing your available credit amount and whether it can be claimed (unable to reach this step)
  5. Once completed, you’ll see a Student Summary of the claim amount on your return
1 Reply

Unused Canada Training Credits

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), the amount you can claim for the CTC is whichever amount is less:

1. Your Canada training credit limit (shown on your latest notice of assessment or reassessment)
  2. 50% of the eligible tuition and other fees paid to an eligible educational institution in Canada for courses you took in the year, or fees paid to certain bodies for an occupational, trade or professional exam taken in the year.

If you do not have eligible tuition fees to report, this amount would be considered the lesser amount (zero).

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.