Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used CRA home expense calculator and got $1,468 as the amount I can claim. Using this amount, my refund is less than if I use the flat rate method of$2/day. Why?

Flat rate method = $2/day x 230 days = $460 deduction
Detailed method = $1,468 deduction

I would expect my refund to be larger with the detailed method but it is not which doesn't make sense to me. Help please!
1 Reply

Used CRA home expense calculator and got $1,468 as the amount I can claim. Using this amount, my refund is less than if I use the flat rate method of$2/day. Why?

CRA allows all employees to claim up to $500 (Flat rate method), from working from home expenses due to COVID-19 Pandemic. Unlike the flat rate method, The detailed method requires a thorough accounting of actual expenses which need to be supported by receipts. But, unlike the flat rate method, your total deduction is not capped at $500, so you could end up saving more. This could be the reason you might be seeing different amounts between the two methods.

Please Note: You can claim the amount when it exceeds $500 if you have the new T2200-s “Declaration of Conditions of Employment for Working at Home Due to COVID-19” signed by your employer stating which expenses they are allowing you to claim.

For more information in calculating your expense, please refer to the TurboTax link You can claim expenses if you worked from home due to COVID-19.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.