Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NS1219

W2s Issued by Employer; Line 16s Don’t Add to Line 1

I was issued two W2s by the same employer. One has my federal information and state of Illinois tax info, and the other has state wages and tax info for Indiana (lines 15 through 17 only). I lived in Illinois the entire year, but worked in Indiana often. My line 16 total wages for Illinois shows the same amount as my total federal wages, and the Indiana line 16 shows the portion of wages earned while working there, meaning that the sum of my Illinois and Indiana state wages on line 16 is greater than my federal wage amount. This presents a problem when I try to file my state taxes as I receive an error message saying “Return cannot be e-filed when the sum of Illinois wages plus out of state wages on all W-2s does not equal total wages reported on IL Schedule CR.” 

I am wondering what would be the correct course of action here:

- Is this a case where my employer should need to alter my W2 to reduce line 16 for Illinois by the wages earned in Indiana?

- Is it appropriate to reduce my line 16 amount of Illinois manually in the turbo tax field so that the software correctly recognizes the portion of my wages attributable to Illinois?

- Is there some other type of workaround or correct course of action to take?

I have tried bringing the issue to the attention of my employer, but they don’t seem to fully grasp the issue and have failed to provide any helpful response.

1 Reply

W2s Issued by Employer; Line 16s Don’t Add to Line 1

This is TurboTax Support Canada. For assistance with U.S. taxes, please visit TurboTax Community USA.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.