Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING - UNUSED TAX CREDITS

Hi everyone, I post this mostly as a warning. This year, I did my taxes as usual. When I got to the "warning - tax saving opportunities" page, one of the "opportunities" told my I had unused tax credits. I chose "this applies to me" and it told my I had over 6 000,00$ in unsued tax credits. It asked my how many I was transferring and had the option to enter the amount manually. When I entered the full amount, it ALL went to my refund. I would've given me a refund of over 7 000,00$ ! I asked the live "expert" where this was coming from. I have to capital losses, no tuition, no business or nothing like that. No unused tax credits appear on my CRA account or my notice of assessment from last year. No one could tell me why the software was telling me this. My wife had the same "opportunity" with over 10 000,00$. This is dangerous because we rely on the software being accurate and I couldve ended up having to pay back all that amount. This is the first year that we got that. Careful not to claim credits you are unsure you have! Especially since Turbo tax cannot themselves cannot explain it.