Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I enter Work From Home expenses I get a lower Tax refund than with the detalied mothod vs Flat rate method. Is there something wrong on the system level?

1 Reply

When I enter Work From Home expenses I get a lower Tax refund than with the detalied mothod vs Flat rate method. Is there something wrong on the system level?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. 

When using the Detailed Method to claim employment expenses due to COVID-19, it is possible to calculate a lower deduction compared to the Flat Rate Method.  In particular, if your workspace at home is a Common Workspace, your employment expense deduction depends on the average number of hours per week that you worked, in addition to the size of your workspace.

For example, if the workspace is 100 square feet, the total area of your home is 1,000 square feet, and you worked an average of 40 hours out of 168 per week, your allowable deduction is equal to:

100    square feet    

Ã· 1000    square feet                                           

=     10%  of your home used as a workspace

x      40     average hours worked per week

Ã·   168     total hours per week                          

=  2.38%   of your total eligible expenses related to the workspace.

For the flat rate method, you can claim up $2 per day that you were required to work from home due to COVID-19, to a maximum deduction of $400.

For more information, please read, Am I eligible to claim employment expenses due to COVID-19?