Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mford

Where do I enter a software annual licence agreement expense that I marked up and then invoiced the client?

As a software vendor I purchased a 3-year annual support license for a client ($27,000).- my expense. I invoiced the client $36,000. I show the $36,000 as revenue. Where do I enter my expense of $27,000?

Mark

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where do I enter a software annual licence agreement expense that I marked up and then invoiced the client?

Thank you for reaching out.

You have rightly categorized $36,000 as part of income/revenue.

For $27,000 amount you will have to use form T2125, Statement of Business or Professional Activities, to calculate capital cost allowance (CCA) on your depreciable properties. To determine which class your software belongs please go through this list - http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/slprtnr/rprtng/cptl/dprcbl-eng.html

Hope it helps!!!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
mford

The answer to my question does not seem appropriate. I paid a vendor $27,000 (Expense) for a three year annual support license for a client. I invoiced the client $36,000 (Revenue). There is no capital involved. Where do I enter the expense for the transaction?

Thank you for reaching out.

You have rightly categorized $36,000 as part of income/revenue.

For $27,000 amount you will have to use form T2125, Statement of Business or Professional Activities, to calculate capital cost allowance (CCA) on your depreciable properties. To determine which class your software belongs please go through this list - http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/slprtnr/rprtng/cptl/dprcbl-eng.html

Hope it helps!!!