Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did my tax return amount drop over 1000$

My return amount dropped by jut over 1000$ when I inputed my school tuition amount. I called the CRA & they said it's an issue on your end because it should have done that. In addition I am unable to claim the amount that I paid for textbooks and school bus pass etc on my tax return as well. I am using the online free version.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I suspect your income is in the range that you would normally qualify for the Working Income Tax Benefit.  However, if you are in school full time for at least 13 weeks of the year, you are not eligible for this credit. 

As to the textbooks, you do not enter the actual amount paid.  On your T2202, it indicates the number of months full time/part time that you were in school...entering this in the appropriate fields when you enter your T2202 into the software will allocate a set textbook amount. 

As to the bus passes, if they were paid separately from your tuition, you will enter these as Public Transit.  In the search bar, type Public Transit and you will see the appropriate selection appear. 

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/wtb/fq_qlfyng-eng.html#q2

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I suspect your income is in the range that you would normally qualify for the Working Income Tax Benefit.  However, if you are in school full time for at least 13 weeks of the year, you are not eligible for this credit. 

As to the textbooks, you do not enter the actual amount paid.  On your T2202, it indicates the number of months full time/part time that you were in school...entering this in the appropriate fields when you enter your T2202 into the software will allocate a set textbook amount. 

As to the bus passes, if they were paid separately from your tuition, you will enter these as Public Transit.  In the search bar, type Public Transit and you will see the appropriate selection appear. 

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/wtb/fq_qlfyng-eng.html#q2