Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevsexton

"Your spouse's net income for the year is required to properly calculate your tax return" it says. I know the amount, where in Turbotax do I enter it?

The spouse's T4 is properly entered on his return, we are doing them jointly. His has been filed, but Netfile won't let hers through with this error. I've gone back and forth through it and I can't find a spot to enter Spouse's Net Income
6 Replies
kevsexton

"Your spouse's net income for the year is required to properly calculate your tax return" it says. I know the amount, where in Turbotax do I enter it?

I already found these steps in the Help section, and sadly they didn't work.

When I get to step five, there is nowhere to enter spouse's net income.  
Now this says 2021 so maybe this feature has changed. 

Here are the steps to enter or edit your spouse's net income:

1. Click on My Info on the left-hand side menu of your return screen.
  2. Click on Marital Status; make sure you selected married.
  3. Click on Spouse's personal information on the left-hand side menu.
  4. Enter the information about your spouse and press Continue.
  5. Enter your spouse's 2021 net income (Line 23600).
  6. Once you complete filling this screen, make sure to click Continue at the bottom to save the information entered.

The features are the same for 2022. A scenario recreated using the steps above in TurboTax De Luxe Online worked.

In order to help you better, can you clarify what TurboTax version you are using? Which Online version or which download version? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax

kevsexton

Thanks for replying! I'm using TurboTax Self Employed 2022, online. I am filling it out for both spouses. I've completed both and filed the husband's with Netfile. It's the wife's that is giving me trouble. 

When I follow those steps above there is still no place to enter spouse's 2022 income at step five. I've tried repeatedly. When I press continue at step four, it switches to the personal information page for the other spouse. When I press continue again, it goes to the "Your Personal Information Summary" page that has nowhere to enter spouse's income.  

Is there any way to edit the return directly? I found the spot on the printable mail-in version, and mailing that in is last resort, but I'd rather netfile it.  

If indeed you had created a joint return, the question would not be asked. 

If you did do a joint return, entered the spouse's T4 and answered questions for the spouse in the interview 'What happened for you in 2022?' Please send us a screen shot of the error you are getting at the filing stage.

Make sure that you completed a joint return by checking the box for a joint return at the beginning of the return. 

Who are you preparing this return for? Did you choose 'Myself' or  'My spouse/partner and me' 

Thank you 

kevsexton

I imported the info from a previous year which was a joint return. It didn't ask me again.  But the interview goes back and forth between the spouses. It asks a set of questions for him, then the same for her. I think it only does that when it's a joint return.

In any case I can't find the spot to confirm that, and when I tried to create a whole new return by once again importing last year's info, it didn't ask if it was a joint return. 

So the spouse's T4 is entered, and the questions on "What happened for you in 2022" have all been answered for both spouses. 

Attached is the series of screenshots for the error warnings. The second one is what I see when I click "Fix" on the first one. It says "you must enter all the spouses information" but all the spouse's information has definitely been entered. 

Screenshot 2023-12-14 10.15.17.pngScreenshot 2023-12-14 10.16.14.pngScreenshot 2023-12-14 10.17.43.png

Try closing TurboTax and clear the memory cache and the cookies. The program may be retaining info that you already erased or changed.

Open Turbotax again, make sure you haven't claimed the spousal amount.

Without being able to see your screen to find the errors, if you cannot successfully NetFile, you will have to print and mail in the return. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.