Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qbosch

I'm Canadian living in Korea. I'm returning to Canada for a job. My wife will come a few months later with our money. Will that be tax free, or taxed from time I arrived?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm Canadian living in Korea. I'm returning to Canada for a job. My wife will come a few months later with our money. Will that be tax free, or taxed from time I arrived?

You don't say whether you intend to remain in Canada for the duration.  Canada taxes on residency, so they may have to determine your residency status based on your intentions.  Normally, any cash is considered part of your personal effects  when moving into Canada.  Any interest earned in Canada on that money will be taxable.  You need to discuss some of the issues with Canada Revenue. 1-800-959-8281

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You don't say whether you intend to remain in Canada for the duration.  Canada taxes on residency, so they may have to determine your residency status based on your intentions.  Normally, any cash is considered part of your personal effects  when moving into Canada.  Any interest earned in Canada on that money will be taxable.  You need to discuss some of the issues with Canada Revenue. 1-800-959-8281