Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
romechar

Where do i confirm the numbers that are downloaded by Turbotax from from institutions that partner with TurboTax?

When I filed our 2015 tax return, I chose the option to download the tax info from CRA for my husband's T4 and RRSP contributions.  Now, CRA is asking where I got the information and asking for a copy of the T4 and the RRSP contributions. I chose this option because in the past, we did not receive all RRSP documents and my husband's T4 is not sent to us.  I think this feature of Turbotax should come with a copy of all documents where all numbers are downloaded from.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where do i confirm the numbers that are downloaded by Turbotax from from institutions that partner with TurboTax?

The problem appears to be twofold.  One, the company your husband works for is legally obligated to provide a T4 to both the workers and to CRA.  If you downloaded it directly from the company, and CRA did not get a copy, they will want to see it. You might be able to access a copy from the company if they expect you to get it online.  TurboTax would only get the numbers.  It could not actually access a copy itself.

RRSP's are a bit more problematic as CRA might or might not get a copy, and if they do, they may not receive it until sometime in March, so you have to be aware.  Generally, there is some form of receipt issued that you should have by the middle of March.

Downloading data from CRA has nothing to do with TurboTax other than TT acting as a messenger.  TurboTax can only download from CRA what CRA has available

Since this is the first year CRA has gone electronic, there are bound to be some issues. Bottom line though, it is up to us to get the documentation to prove what we say on the tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The problem appears to be twofold.  One, the company your husband works for is legally obligated to provide a T4 to both the workers and to CRA.  If you downloaded it directly from the company, and CRA did not get a copy, they will want to see it. You might be able to access a copy from the company if they expect you to get it online.  TurboTax would only get the numbers.  It could not actually access a copy itself.

RRSP's are a bit more problematic as CRA might or might not get a copy, and if they do, they may not receive it until sometime in March, so you have to be aware.  Generally, there is some form of receipt issued that you should have by the middle of March.

Downloading data from CRA has nothing to do with TurboTax other than TT acting as a messenger.  TurboTax can only download from CRA what CRA has available

Since this is the first year CRA has gone electronic, there are bound to be some issues. Bottom line though, it is up to us to get the documentation to prove what we say on the tax return.