Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kahern

Does my non-resident husband's income from before we were married count? He hasn't been able to work since before we got married and lived together.

I got married in June 2016 to my husband, who is from another country. He has been staying with me in Canada since May, and has applied for permanent residence from outside of Canada. He will be returning to his country briefly in November so as not to stay past 6 months. 

He worked in his country before he came to Canada this year, but of course has not worked since we got married. He is living with me, and I am supporting him. 

Does his income before we lived together and got married need to be filed when I file my taxes in Canada? He also does not have a SIN yet, of course. 

I'm particularly concerned about tax credits because we just moved to Nova Scotia from BC, and I am reeling from the extra almost $100 taken out of my paycheck every 2 weeks. I can't believe I have to pay an extra $204 a month to live in Halifax from Vancouver. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does my non-resident husband's income from before we were married count? He hasn't been able to work since before we got married and lived together.

You will file as married, provide his name, and use 000 000 000 as his social insurance number. You do not have to report his income before you were married as you were not living together prior to marriage for at least 12 months.  You can apply for an extension so he does not have to go back to his home country.  Talk to immigration for an extension, or the border guards if you are close to the border.

You will have a sizable spousal deduction which will help a great deal.  Do a nil return for your husband as well.

Also, you will have to mail in your returns as you will not be able to netfile due to the change in marital status.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You will file as married, provide his name, and use 000 000 000 as his social insurance number. You do not have to report his income before you were married as you were not living together prior to marriage for at least 12 months.  You can apply for an extension so he does not have to go back to his home country.  Talk to immigration for an extension, or the border guards if you are close to the border.

You will have a sizable spousal deduction which will help a great deal.  Do a nil return for your husband as well.

Also, you will have to mail in your returns as you will not be able to netfile due to the change in marital status.