Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My room mate is thinking to claiming the rent as she is the primary on the lease for apartment. I am self employed how do I claim for my office space?

We both pay the property management separately. Can she write me a receipt for the amount I paid or is this a non option for Manitoba?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My room mate is thinking to claiming the rent as she is the primary on the lease for apartment. I am self employed how do I claim for my office space?

If you have a receipt showing what YOU paid for rent, then you would use that amount when entering your business-use-of-home expenses.  It will be prorated depending on the square footage used for business, and the total square footage for living area.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If you have a receipt showing what YOU paid for rent, then you would use that amount when entering your business-use-of-home expenses.  It will be prorated depending on the square footage used for business, and the total square footage for living area.

Thank you! Would the receipt come from her or property management? How would this affect her claim?

Your roommate should only claim the amount she pays.

As to what you need for a receipt...something from the landlord would be great, but at least something from your roommate stating you paid her for rent

Thank you this is extremely helpful