Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I need to enter this into Turbo tax to avoid improperly receiving a refund - I got a bonus at work that was put direct into RRSP (so no tax was taken)?

When I add an RRSP slip from work like this (a case where I received a bonus that I requested be transferred to my work RRSP account), I want to enter it properly in Turbo tax so that it does not assume it's eligible for refund (since I did NOT pay any tax on the bonus that went straight to RRSP).

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I need to enter this into Turbo tax to avoid improperly receiving a refund - I got a bonus at work that was put direct into RRSP (so no tax was taken)?

You will claim the RRSP contribution as a regular deduction under the RRSP tab in Turbo Tax. Make sure that the amount  of your bonus has been reported in Box 14 of your T4 slip (Employment Income). If the Bonus and RRSP contribution actually occurred after the end of the final pay period in 2017 then you will need to report the RRSP contribution but elect to have it carry forward (not claimed in 2017) so that the deduction will match the income on next years tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You will claim the RRSP contribution as a regular deduction under the RRSP tab in Turbo Tax. Make sure that the amount  of your bonus has been reported in Box 14 of your T4 slip (Employment Income). If the Bonus and RRSP contribution actually occurred after the end of the final pay period in 2017 then you will need to report the RRSP contribution but elect to have it carry forward (not claimed in 2017) so that the deduction will match the income on next years tax return.